Thursday, July 26, 2007

my frat in 2007

three years ago, i dreamed of a huge celebration for my frat. one that would gather the greatest number of titans my frat has ever seen. bigger that the one i organized in subic seven years ago and more lavish than the hawaii get-together i attended in 2003. for some reason, i am fixated to gathering my brothers around me. i revel in telling stories to my younger fraternity siblings while i occupy the stage in acts i have repeated over and over in the frathouse, in medical missions, in outings and wherever i can muster a crowd. more than the philosophical and hifalutin aspect of my being a frat man, i have always subscribed to the idea that brotherhood is always about togetherness.

and this togetherness was, and still is, my inspiration in spearheading efforts to such fraternity celebrations. my frat has given so much to me that participating in, or leading efforts like these is just a small token to give back. after all, i would probably not have had the patience in medical school if not for my brothers. it has sharpened my organizational skills far more than the varsitarian ever did and honed my political instincts perhaps in much the same degree as my father did. my frat life during my formative years as a young adult was so rich, i would not trade it for anything i have ever experienced.

and my dream for this year's grand homecoming in baguio is just the culmination of a career i have created for myself in the frat. since subic's big bang in 2000 where 220 titans gathered in one place, i have validated my brotherhood's capacity for greatness. its ability to absorb big ideas. its penchant in embracing whatever advances its heritage.

and heritage is what this is all about for all of us. celebrating 40 years of unbridled growth at the peaks of john hay is really a fitting tribute to all those who have come before us. it is also a not so subtle recognition of the leaps we have taken both in the Motherland and in America, thus the joint nature of this celebration.

but heritage is also about the future. creating activities like these energize the brotherhood into preserving everything that we have accomplished. it is not another party that intoxicates us with our own hubris, it makes us keenly aware of the responsibilities of carrying on the heritage.

this is perhaps my last major chairmanship in a frat where i have taken a lot, perhaps too much, responsibility. i have reached an age where i should be taking care of other things and chairing my own little family project. and besides, florida is an inconvenient place to take care of business in manila. while all of us sweat in its preparations, those who have made it big must never forget the frat that nurtured us then and still continues to hover above us.

Cheers!

No comments: